My Facebook Thoughts

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Time To Dust Off The Blog


I can't believe I have not written anything since January.  Damn Facebook!


It's not that I have nothing to say, because believe me, I've got lots to say.  It's just that I've been Facebooked. I was also in the hospital ER twice, which is never a good thing.  And, well, to be honest, life has been in the way.  That's not always a bad thing either.


Life has pushed me back into my blog this time.  I wanted to share a story with my readers with the hope they might be able to help do some good.


Like many, I get caught up in the world's news.  With all the social media outlets, I spend, probably too much, time debating my opinion with people who are wrong (wink) on a variety of subjects.  Then something happens to either you or a friend and then the rest of the world's problems seem quite trivial.  


For me, the something is happening to one of my dearest friends, Chris.  Chris recently informed her friends and family that she has been diagnosed with ALS, a.k.a Lou Gehrigs disease.  It is my personal opinion that ALS is one of the two cruelest diseases in the world, the other being Alzheimer's.  That's just my opinion.


I wont get all medical here, but for those that don't know, ALS destroys your body's physical abilities all while your mental abilities remain intact.  Over time you become a prisoner in your own body.  You remain there until you die.  That's the cold hard truth of ALS.  There is no current cure.


If this were to happen to anyone I would feel terrible.  For my friend, Chris, this could be seen as a practical joke by the devil himself as Chris' husband passed away suddenly just about two years ago.  To me, that just doesn't seem fair.  Ok, maybe Chris had bad karma coming her way via the life she has led.  Maybe, you say, she kicked puppies for fun or would yell, "BINGO", even though she didn't really have a BINGO.  Maybe Chris worked for The Misunderstood Hitler Foundation or maybe, just maybe, she is member of the Gacy "The Clown" Fan Club.  Well, you'd be wrong.


Chris has worked at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago for over 20 years.  She helps others to deal with their disabilities.  She met her husband Ken while volunteering at a Muscular Dystrophy (MD) Summer camp.  Ken, her husband, had MD and was a person with a disability.  Chris and Ken have a lovely daughter, Erin.  Erin is a Sophomore in high school.  Chris & Ken were in my wedding and have been a tremendous supply of support for us for many many years.  Karma is not the problem for Chris.


HEY MARK, THANKS FOR THE UP BEAT BLOG!

I realize many of you might be very sad right now and wondering why I'm writing this "kick in the groin" blog.  Well, I'll tell you why if you'd stop interrupting me.


Just shortly after Chris told her news to all of her friends a report of a breakthrough in ALS research was announced.


Major ALS Breakthrough from Northwestern News on Vimeo.


I was overwhelmed by the news.  Here's why.  Every year around Labor Day I reach out to family and friends to donate whatever they can to the MDA Telethon. One of the diseases the MDA funds research for is, ALS.  I must point out, ALS hasn't been cured yet.  But, through the actions of many progress has been made.  We don't get to read about progress very often, I'm looking at you Washington D.C.


This is what I'd like you to do this Labor Day.  A friend of Chris' has formed a team, "Chris' Convoy", for the 10th Annual Les Turner ALS Walk4Life, Sept. 10, 2011.  I would be so grateful if you would make a donation in her honor.  Click the following link to do so.




Chris is a trooper.  She has told me she has her good days and the bad.  She remains positive with the support of family and friends.  On behalf of Chris, thank you for taking the time to read this and for any donation you chose to make.


Donation Footnote
Chris' father-in-law, Ken's Dad, Theodore Gilford, recently passed away from Alzheimer's Disease.  His daughter, Keri, is walking in the Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's.  You can donate to her efforts here,






I'll leave you with a happy video.  Thank You!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog