My Facebook Thoughts

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Voteagra - For Electoral Dysfunction


In Illinois we are a few weeks away from another election. Eventhough it isn't a major election year the campaigns are annoying. Being a Primary election the number of candidates is still high because everyone wants a piece of the pie.

I'm going to give some first hand advice to all people running campaigns. This advice could make a big difference in your careers.

Call this advice Voteagra.

Important Safety Information
  • DO take Voteagra if you plan to be a candidate of any Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, Independent or any other political party.
  • Discuss with your doctor, family and friends your general personality. Your personality should be strong enough so as not to put voters asleep.
  • With any campaign, any election lasting longer than 24 hours could mean a recount. Call your attorneys immediately to avoid any legal mistakes.

We have people asking for our votes on every TV channel, while stuffing our mailboxes and the newer yet most obnoxious tool, the ROBO CALL.

Last week we received two campaign ROBO CALL phone calls. One caller is getting my vote the other will never get my vote.

The caller that is not getting my vote. Um, I can't even tell you who the call was from because I didn't answer the phone. The reason I didn't answer the phone was my caller-id listed the call from Stockdale California with no number. I can recognize my family from California when they call and this wasn't them. If I don't know the number I don't answer.

This ROBO CALL went to my answering machine, which I can hear while the message is being recorded. It was somebody running for office in Illinois. So already this candidate is spending money outside of Illinois. That doesn't help our state's economy. This candidate should also make sure the caller-id has their name on it because I erased their message and even if I wanted to look them up I couldn't. Two Votes Lost.

The caller that is getting my vote is Mike Huguelet for Circuit Court Judge from the 15th Judicial Sub-circuit in Cook County. I know this because the name Huguelet showed up on my caller-id and my wife answered the phone.

(Full disclosure: My wife answered the phone because she works with a Huguelet, thus recognized the name.)

My wife was speaking to a real live person. It was actually a relative of the candidate. The person asked if they could send us info to our email address, we said absolutely. The next day I received an email from the Mike For Judge campaign. Punch 202 on 2/02.

Two different campaigns using modern technology, ROBO CALLS and the internet. However, Mr. Huguelet took an extra step and kept the human touch. That means a lot to me and it means two votes for Mike Huguelet for Circuit Court Judge from the 15th Judicial Sub-circuit in Cook County.

During every election we voters get bombarded with ads, some positive, but mostly negative. You need to step away from the pack to get our attention. Say your name more than your opponents. The truth is we don't pay attention to your ads. There is a good chance we'll associate the mud your slinging to you.

Tell us why we SHOULD vote for you and not why we SHOULDN'T vote for the other candidate. It's your election, but it's our vote.

This blog was not paid for this endorsement. But, I am willing to listen.


3 comments:

Scott Plocharczyk said...

I have chosen not to partake in the Feb. 2nd primary.

My reason is quite simple, not one of the candidates for any of the offices has truly said how they'll fix our problems.

However, they're all quick to tell you how crappy their opponent is.

Ernest T. Bass said...

I like eggs.

Capitalist Pig said...

Around 10+ years ago (sadly) I recieved a call from a candidate's election team and it was a LIVE call and better yet it was this candidate's daughter. I don't think I've ever had a more pleasant call around election time. She single handedly got my vote due to her ability to articulate their positions and respond to my questions. I was on the phone with her for 30 mintues. Maybe not efficient but she sealed the vote. If I thought I'd be talking to someone live I might actually answer the phone when I see the name pop up. This candidate did wind up winning his election. I'd like to think that had something to do with it.

Hopefully, your candidate's call was based on why we hope it was rather than not having enough budget for "robo-call".