My Facebook Thoughts

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Do As I Say, Not As I Do


As a kid growing up I was often confused by two things my father would say when I would do something wrong. "Do as I say, not as I do." and "Whether I'm right or wrong I'm always right." I never knew my father's politics, but I think the Republicans have adopted his philosophy.

I can't get past the whole pregnant daughter thing. The Republicans are acting like it's no big deal, but I think it is because it goes against two major cogs of the GOP platform.

Protecting Marriage
The GOP believes a man and a woman should marry because marriage plays a "vital and unique role played by mothers and fathers in the raising of children, and the role of the family in shaping, stabilizing, and strengthening communities and our nation."(John McCain website)

They should add in there that shotgun marriages help to be less embarrassing to parents that might be nominated to President or Vice President of the U.S. Why should these kids be getting married? If the daughter wasn't pregnant would the parents allow her to get married? Getting married just because you're pregnant is generally not a great idea. From About.com about teenage marriage;

"more than 1/2 who marry in their teens will be divorced within 15 years. That is a pretty sobering statistic.

Additionally, according to the Center for Law and Social Policy, "Compared to girls who marry later, teenage brides have less schooling, less independence,and less experience of life and work." Teen brides are also at more risk for being abused and living at poverty levels."

Abstinence only sex education
This is an issue the GOP stands firm on, despite the fact that THEIR OWN VP NOMINEE PROVED IT DOESN'T WORK.
Today's kids are exposed to so much. Good and bad. Kids need as much information as they can get their hands on. Why deny them knowledge?

So clearly the GOP will continue on. They don't offer plans that work, just plans that sound good to voters.

No comments: