My Facebook Thoughts

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Crazy World


As I write this President Bush is on TV telling the world to fear Iran. I fear Bush more than I do Iran.

In the past week there was a certain event that proves we need to have a better understanding of the Muslim world.

I'm referring to the case where followers of the Islamic faith were calling for the DEATH of a British teacher because she allowed her students to name a teddy bear "Muhammad." In America teachers have sex with students and end up the movie of the week. There are some huge cultural gaps here that make the Grand Canyon look like a crack in the sidewalk.

Yet, we think we can help create peace in this region.

I don't know where we can begin. Some say blow them all up and let God sort it out later. The opposite of that would be better diplomatic discussions. But, we have to be careful either way because we make the assumption that all we see and hear on the news is truly the way it is.

I used to work with a great guy who was from Pakistan. He was Muslim and I am Catholic. We would have such great discussions about our cultures. One thing he told me, though, was what we see on TV is quite distorted from the reality of the country. He said, and granted this was over ten years ago, that there are many regular folks in the Middle East just living life. They are not out protesting against the USA, but just raising families. We very seldom see this side of the Muslim world. It's hard to hate people when they're just normal folks.

Now, please please please, do not think for one minute I endorse the actions of those who called for her death. I would, however, think twice before opening a Build-A-Bear franchise in the Sudan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you think for one second that Iran is not a threat to the rest of the world than I have some swamp land I can sell you real cheap.

I find it somewhat suspect that all of a sudden their nuclear program isn't a danger. Something smells a little fishy to me.

Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism and is helping to kill and injure our troops in Iraq. They have had American blood on their hands since Khomeni took control back in 1979.

It amazes me that there are people in this country that view President Bush as a greater danger than the creeps that run Iran.

It appears Lenin was right about his "useful idiots" comment. The Israeli's (who I trust) have stated numerous times that Iran is pursuing nukes.

I guess one will just have to go off somewhere for some people to understand. Then I am sure they will blame this on President Bush like they do everything else.