My Facebook Thoughts

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Is Reality Real?

I have a vice. I enjoy reality TV. I was there for the first season of The Real World, which started it all. I enjoy watching others deal with, I wont say real-life, but real situations.

It is fun.
The shows I currently enjoy are Survivor, Beauty & the Geek, Kid Nation, and Dirty Jobs. While I enjoy these shows, I'm starting to wonder if they are really real. I've long accepted that professional wrestling is all scripted and fake. But, I don't want to not believe in my reality shows. It's just that some of these people are so stupid it's hard to believe they are real.

Exhibit A:

On the premier of Survivor:China.
The contestants were getting moved in to their camps. One contestant,
Sherea, said something so stupid I'm still scratching my head. Quote, "I'm not really an outdoorsy type person." This gem was spoken while she was walking around in heels and a sun dress in the jungle.

HAS THIS PERSON EVER SEEN THE SHOW?

I admit I've not seen seen every season of Survivor, but I don't think there was ever a Survivor: The Four Seasons. There is also and old saying that goes, you don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Well, you also don't bring heels and a sun dress to the jungle. That's good advice for life.

Exhibit B:
Beauty & the Geek.
During a quiz which would determine whether or not she stayed,
Natalie was asked how many stars are on the U.S. flag?
Her response, 13.

She should try out for the new FOX game show, Are You Smarter Than A Mushroom?

The women, the Beauties, are portrayed as borderline mentally challenged. Can they really be that stupid?
To be fair, the men, the Geeks, are over the top as well. Because I know guys like these, and because I probably would qualify for the show, as a Geek of course, I can accept the Geeks as real.

I want these shows to be real. I want to believe. But, if these people are real I want to know where they live so I can avoid being in their path of mental destruction. "I thought I was hitting the brake".


I will always have Santa, at least he's real.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In regards to Survivor, if one is not outdoorsy why even apply to be on?
As for her in heels, they changed up on them by sending them out right away.
Survivor is best because they tweak it every season.

Mark Ploch said...

She'll probably win.

Amnesty said...

As far as how stupid the "beauties" are...remember Miss South Carolina?

Anonymous said...

mark, you crack me up.
your sister

Anonymous said...

Mark,

Your blog is a answer to prayer. Thanks I needed a good laugh.

David